Then & Now – Hon/Murphy Miller

Adam Paris History 2 Comments

Two of the original founders of the Owensboro Wagon Company, J. H. Hickman and W. E. Ebbert, started the Hickman-Ebbert Wagon Company here in 1905. The business failed after only a few years and the building was then used by The Stenotype Company from 1910-1913. The Murphy Chair Company bought the building in 1917 and in 1961, it became the …

Then & Now – Downtown

Adam Paris History 1 Comment

Downtown has changed drastically in the past 60 years. There have been several courthouse buildings since 1815. This image from 1951 shows the fourth courthouse building which was constructed in 1868 and served until 1964. For more information on the Courthouse, visit the Wiki Article here.

Then & Now – Legion Park

Adam Paris History 1 Comment

The first steps to acquire a city park (see note on Smothers Park below) started in 1894, when James H. Hickman suggested to the city council should purchase a wooded 24-acre tract of land south of the city. The owner of the land, Cam Riley, negotiated a price of $4,000 but the city agreed to only buy the land, not …