Rossboro – 1816

Adam Paris History Leave a Comment

On Dec. 30, 1816, the plat of the proposed town of Rossboro was recorded. Twelve streets were laid out and most still have the same names today. It was named for David Ross who owned land where the town was located. He and his partner, John May, donated 80 acres for the new town that was to be the seat …

Joseph Hamilton Daveiss

Adam Paris History 3 Comments

On this day in 1811, the county’s namesake, Joseph Hamilton Daveiss was killed by Indians in the Battle of Tippecanoe. By a typing mistake in enrolling the bill to create the county, the name was spelled “Daviess” and stuck. He was born in 1774 in Virginia, admitted to the Kentucky bar in 1795, and was US District Attorney for Kentucky. …

Dudley “Mush” Morton

Adam Paris History Leave a Comment

On this day in 1943, Owensboro-native and commander of the submarine USS Wahoo(SS-238), “Mush” Morton goes down with his ship near the Japanese island of Hokkaido. He was the commander of this submarine on it’s 3rd thru 7th patrols. Initially, he was assigned the highly dangerous task of penetrating the Sea of Japan and was reported ‘missing in action’ in December …

Faith Tool & Die

Adam Paris History 1 Comment

Faith Tool & Die started in a double garage at 3006 Frederica St in June of 1946 as a one-man operation. In 1951, the company built its first plant at 1140 Moseley St. It was incorporated on April 1, 1952 and owners listed as George Faith Sr., and his two sons, George Jr. and Charles. Charles bought out his brother …

Lock and Dam 46

Adam Paris History Leave a Comment

On Sept 12, 1928, the Ohio River Lock & Dam #46 at the present day English Park officially opened and the steamer “Shawnee” was the first boat to pass through. Surveying by the US Army Corps of Engineers began in 1910 looking for a suitable location. Construction took five years, beginning in August 1923 at a cost of $2,000,000. With …

The Well at Bethabara

Adam Paris History Leave a Comment

Did you know… this old well behind Bethabara Baptist Church in Habit was dug by David Miller in 1859. He was paid $11 for his 10 days of work. The well supplied water to the community until water lines were installed in the 1960’s. More info on Bethabara Baptist Church can be found here:

Owensboro’s “First Things”

Adam Paris History Leave a Comment

Here’s a partial list of some of the “first things” that took place in Owensboro. First Home A log cabin built by Bill Smothers somewhere between 1797-1798. First Organ Used in Church The first organ used in church was at St. Stephen’s Catholic Church on May 22, 1849. Note: An article from Aug 14, 1927 says Cumberland Presbyterian at St …

Old/New Street Names

Adam Paris History Leave a Comment

I’ve been compiling this list of street names that have changed over time around Daviess County. These have come from various sources such as the PVA, newspaper articles, old maps, and contributors like you. If you have one to add, please contact us and help us source it so we can validate it. Don’t forget to join us in the …

Union Station

Adam Paris History Leave a Comment

Built in 1905 and initially completed in 1906, this was the location of the Louisville, Henderson, and St. Louis depot. It represented and agreement between the Louisville, Henderson, and St. Louis; the Louisville and Nashville; and the Illinois Central railroads to provide Union Station for Owensboro. The plans were drawn up by John B. Hutchings and Henry F. Hawes, and …

Elite Pressing Club

Adam Paris History Leave a Comment

It was a popular time for men’s high-end clothing in Owensboro in the 1890’s and early 1900’s. The Elite Pressing Club opened its doors on Dec 17th, 1903. This popular service was located at 303 Frederica St, just north of the current Kurtz Auction building. Rice E. Berkshire, Thomas Monarch, Goe Gens, and Chester A. LaRue were some of the …