Downtown has changed drastically in the past 60 years. There have been several courthouse buildings since 1815. This image from 1951 shows the fourth courthouse building which was constructed in 1868 and served until 1964. For more information on the Courthouse, visit the Wiki Article here.
Then & Now – Legion Park
The first steps to acquire a city park (see note on Smothers Park below) started in 1894, when James H. Hickman suggested to the city council should purchase a wooded 24-acre tract of land south of the city. The owner of the land, Cam Riley, negotiated a price of $4,000 but the city agreed to only buy the land, not …
Then & Now – DCHS (Hwy 231)
This is the fourth location of Daviess County High School. This location on New Hartford Road was completed in 1958-59. The Springbank subdivision is on the left side of the image.
Then & Now – Cardinal Drive-In
The Cardinal Drive In opened in 1955 and had a capacity of 550 cars. It was operated by Malco until it was closed and demolished in the mid 1980’s. Glenn Funeral Home now sits on the property. Shown on the right side of the image is the Rosehill-Elmwood Cemetery.